Friday, February 5, 2016

5 Love Poems to Get you Giddy this Valentines

It's almost Valentine's Day again, and I bet the hearts you see everywhere - from store designs to TV and radio shows - are giving you that giddy feeling you felt when you were 13 years old, waiting for your Prince Charming to sweep you off your feet.

But if you're not feeling the love bug yet, it's not too late to catch cupid's arrow. After all, old-fashioned love poetry never goes out of style. Here are some of my favorite poems to bring out that hopeless romantic in you.

1. Sonnet 116 by William Shakespeare

As they say, Shakespeare is the expert when it comes to making girls swoon. Here's a classic that talks about what true love really is - unchanging and timeless.
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no; it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests, and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
   If this be error and upon me proved,
   I never writ, nor no man ever loved. 
2. How Do I Love Thee by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

If describing how you love a person through a poem (or a sonnet for that matter) isn't romantic enough, I don't know what is! This will definitely sweep any girl's feet.
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
3. Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day? by William Shakespeare

Again, another Shakespeare (I'm kind of a fan, really) that compares you to a Summer's day: Light-hearted and Sweet. Perfect for guys who aren't all too cheesy and emotional.
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate.
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date.
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimmed;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance, or nature's changing course untrimmed.
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st;
Nor shall death brag thou wand'rest in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st,
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.
4. Love by Roy Croft

I first heard of this poem from the movie, Patch Adams, starring the late Robin Williams. From then on, I instantly fell in love with it (okay, who falls in love with a poem anyway?). But really, I did. It kind of sucks that it talks about friendship towards the end, but reading the first few lines actually made me teary-eyed.
I love you
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.
I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what
You are making of me.
I love you
For the part of me
That you bring out;
I love you
For putting your hand
Into my heaped-up heart
And passing over
All the foolish, weak things
That you can't help
Dimly seeing there,
And for drawing out
Into the light
All the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked
Quite far enough to find
I love you because you
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern
But a temple.
Out of the works
Of my every day
Not a reproach
But a song.
I love you
Because you have done
More than any creed
Could have done
To make me good.
And more than any fate
Could have done
To make me happy.
You have done it
Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign.
You have done it
By being yourself.
Perhaps that is what
Being a friend means,
After all.
5. Sonnet XVII by Pablo Neruda

This poem was also used in the movie Patch Adams, but I've read about it way before in one of the books my father had. There is such a pain in my heart every time I read this. It's either the tragedy the poem speaks of is very heartbreaking, or the experience I had when loving from afar. Most girls (and guys!) can definitely relate to this.
I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.
I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.
I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other way
than this: where I does not exist, nor you,
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep. 
Do you have poems that make your heart giddy as well? Share them here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment